Monday, January 14, 2013

On facing death...

Eternal Spring

Negative notions and feelings are often linked with the word death the reason why someone would opt not to discuss anything about it.  Some would say it is a horrible idea to talk about such things.  Others admittedly say they are not yet ready to face it nor talk about it.  We cannot shut our eyes in the reality that everyone will face it at no specific age, place, time and situation.  

Last week, we heard that the remains of our friend was already at their home.  He was an Overseas Filipino Worker and died in abroad due to stroke.  It took weeks before his body was brought home. The relatives invited my husband to conduct the funeral service every night at the wake.  His wife just passed away last year 2012 (maybe around October).  It should have been tough on their children that they can no longer be with their parents.  My prayers and sympathy for the demise of their parents.  It is good to hear that one of her daughter vocally said, "One comfort I have now is the fact that my  father is in a very good place now with the Lord."

Pakner4lyf and I at times talk about this matter - what if one of us has to die?  For me it is better to be discussed than to ignore; plan ahead for security rather than denying the truth about it.  We openly exchange and express how we would feel, the things we could do and consider if that time comes.  Still we can never know until that situation comes.  What actually fears me most is losing those people around me, whom I dearly love, rather than facing my own death.  I do not know how to cope up with loss, but I am now praying to grant me the courage I need to deal with loss when I come to reach this state.  

I know this sounds crazy, but facing my own death would be a glorious thing.   It is because I know that death is not the end but a start of a new life where I can be with my creator.  It is a great place where I can savor what God has promised me - the best things I can have that my mind has not even conceived of.  Life here on earth is too short and we can never tell when will death knock on our doors.  For that, I thank God for the opportunity to live, for every morning  that I can be with my family,  to face and win challenges ahead.  I can face death with courage because I know I am secured in God's hands.

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
English Standard Version (ESV)


No comments:

From Homeschooling to ALS Journey

Last year, was one of the major transitions for JC and Eu-La.  I decided to enroll them in the Alternative Learning System.  This is a curri...